Hmmm..so it's Wednesday..almost Thursday, which is technically my Friday, so let's get this day out of the way. It seems like there's a lot jumbling around in my brain today so it may be a good day to put it out into the universe and maybe get it off of my shoulders.
1. The hubby's work is not going so good right now..ugh..I hate worrying about money and even worse I hate fighting about money, so we're trying really hard not to go that route. Hopefully things will turn around soon because we are a family of eaters and I would hate to have to give that up. However, it has helped us reexamine our spending (his at Lowes and mine at certain online sites..dang you Kohls and your incredible savings!!!) and also at our weekend spending, which is all FOOD. My mantra before the economic downturn was I cook during the week, I'm not doing it on the weekends. Well, we can't go blowing $100 we don't have on eating out all weekend, so we've been eating at home. Sigh. This has it's pluses too. Our sensitive stomachs seem to feel better, I don't have that bloated sick feeling after I eat, and I sense my butt is actually getting a little bit smaller since I'm wearing a size 6, yes, SIX pant today. Just to let it be known, I've also cut back on my $15 hot yoga class I was taking and instead I went to the $5 class on Sat! At 8AM! Look at me SAVE.
2. I've been reading a TON this summer. I always forget how much I love to read until I start doing it and then I'm carrying books around with me and smuggling them into the bathroom for that few minutes of peace and quiet! Ah, I never thought I'd enjoy the time I spent in the bathroom until I had baby W. The best so far, The Red Tent. I've also joined Goodreads so that should help me keep track of my reading list instead of the rumpled list I've been carrying around with me.
3. My brother-in-law is still out of work. Without saying anything terribly ugly or negative, that's all I'm going to say. Well, I will say that I worry about my sister, a lot.
4. My mother in law has been asking about potty training. Wow. How can I have a kid old enough to be thinking about teaching how to use a toliet? One that maybe one day might not wear diapers? But he's just a BABY...my heart actually aches thinking about him getting that big. We decided we would just introduce it into the bathroom and let him check it out for now. I might actually cry at my desk today thinking about this.
5. I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be thankful lately. I found a couple of quotes today that sum it up for me:
Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. ~W.T. Purkiser
and I like this one too:
We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder
I've been trying to live with a little bit more grace and peace and to let people know how much they mean to me. I want the people in my life to know what they mean to me. And I want God to know how truly grateful I am for every moment I have with them. Some days I do better than others, but all I can do is try.